Heartless Review

Title: Heartless
Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: Not Applicable
Publisher: Fewer & Friends
Publication Date:8 November 2016
Source: Purchased
Format: Paperback
Pages: 449
Rating:3.5 Stars
Reding Timeline: 16 December 2016- 4 January 2017












Goodreads Synopsis:

Cathrine may be one of the most desired girls in Wonderland and a favourite of the unmarried King, but her interests lie elsewhere. A talented baker, she wants to open a shop and create delectable pastries. But for her mother, such a goal is unthinkable for a woman who could be queen. At a royal where Cath is expected to revive the King’s marriage proposal, she meets handsome and mysterious Jest. 

For the first time, she feels the pull of true attraction. At the risk of offending the King and infuriating her parents, she and Jest enter into a secret courtship. Cath is determined to choose her own destiny.

But in a land thriving with magic, madness, and monsters, fate has other plans.

Book Review:

Pre-reading Thoughts:

This was the December book of the month for my book club, To The Stars. I was really excited for this book as there as a lot of hype surrounding the hardcover and the story. The South Africa Cover isn’t too shabby if I say so myself. 

Writing Thoughts:

There was nothing wrong with the writing of the book in terms if its structure.… It just didn’t feel the same as Marissa Meyer’s other books. The pacing of the book was a bit off and there was just no real flow to it. 

Plot Thoughts:

I loved the idea of seeing into the Queen of Hearts’s past. To see how she became the “off with your head” person. It was intriguing to me. Unfortunately the book did not live up to my expectation. I really loved the beginning it was perfect and whimsical but then in the middle it became boring and I was struggling to just through a couple of pages. it was only towards the end did things start to get interesting again. 


Character Thoughts:

Cathrine started off like any other girl. She just wanted to meet her prince charming and most importantly she want to open her own bakery. I adored Cathrine. She was really kind to everyone and tried to help out where she could but unfortunately she didn’t quite get her happily ever after in this story. She was quite intelligent finding different ways to solve her problems. She was incredibly compassionate and a dreamer. 

Jest was just… gaaah… amazing. Absolutely swoon worthy. If I could draw really well then damn my sketch book would be filled with images of him. He was smart, caring and hopeless romantic. He was my little marshmallow.

Final Thoughts:

Overall, I liked the book. It didn’t blow me away like her other books but it was somewhat pleasant to read. Where the plot fell through, the character made up for a lot of it. I really wish that I could love this book but I just didn’t. 

Yours in Reading,

Melleny

Comments

Popular Posts